Bacon Horseradish Dip
- ½ lb bacon
- pinch freshly-ground black pepper
- 16 oz (1 lb) sour creme
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 2 tbsp minced onion (sweet onion like Vidalia)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp liquid hickory smoke
- Dice the bacon and sprinkle with black pepper. Heat a saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add bacon. Stir often until the bacon is browned and crisp. Remove the bacon bits and drain on paper towel. (Optional) Retain 1 to 2 tbsp of the rendered bacon fat.
- In a bowl stir together the sour creme, horseradish, onion, salt, and liquid smoke. Also add the reserved bacon fat for a stronger bacon flavor.
- Once the bacon has cooled to room temperature, chop very finely. Fold bacon "powder" into the sour creme mixture.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours for flavors to develop throughout the dip. Add more horseradish or liquid smoke if any flavor does not seem strong enough.
- Serve with rippled potato chips or vegetables for dipping.