- 1 lb ground turkey
- 10.5 oz can black beans
- 10.5 oz can black eye peas
- ½ a red bell pepper (diced)
- ½ a green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 poblano pepper (roasted, skinned, diced)
- ½ a red onion (diced)
- ~3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp chicken base
- 2 cup water
Garnishes for service:
- diced tomato (salted and drained)
- diced red onion
- shredded cheddar
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, brown the ground turkey in 1 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with ~ 1 tbsp of the chili powder and ½ tbsp of the salt.
- When the turkey has given up some moisture and is cooked just through, remove from the pan. Sprinkle the flour over the turkey and mix briefly to distribute it.
- Add another 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pan and lower the heat to medium-low. Begin sweating the vegetables.
- When the vegetables are very soft, add 1 tbsp chicken base and cook briefly (about 5 minutes at the most).
- Add back the turkey and any liquid that was with it. Stir to combine and sprinkle with another 1 tbsp of chili powder and the other ½ tbsp of salt.
- Continue cooking another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a slow simmer. Taste and add more chili powder or salt to your taste. Add the beans, too.
- Put a lid on the pan and continue to simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat and leave uncovered until ready to serve. Stir occasionally.
Serve with corn bread and the garnishes. Makes enough for our family of four.