Cuban Black Beans
- 1 lb black beans
- 1 large yellow onion (minced)
- 1 large green bell pepper (minced)
- 1 large red bell pepper (minced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup chopped, cooked bacon
- 2 tbsp bacon grease
- 2 cup chicken broth or stock
- Soak the beans overnight; you can also use canned beans to avoid this step, but use only half the chicken broth.
- Over medium-low heat saute the minced onion and peppers in the bacon grease; when the onions are soft and translucent add the garlic and saute another 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf. Cook another minute before adding the chicken broth, beans, and bacon.
- Bring the mixture to a slow boil; immediately reduce the heat and allow to simmer.
- If canned beans were used, only 10 minutes additional cooking should be necessary. For dried beans, simmer over low heat until the beans are properly softened (1 hour).
- Serve with rice or by itself.