For the pork patty:
- 680 g pork shoulder, cut in 1/2" cubes (~1.5 lbs, kept as cool as possible without freezing; 93.09% total mass)
- ½ cup crushed ice
- 12 g kosher salt (1.65% total mass)
- 1.2 g finely-ground black pepper (0.17% total mass)
- 6 g onion powder (0.83% total mass)
- 2.1 g garlic powder (0.29% total mass)
- 3 g smoked paprika (0.41% total mass)
- 14.6 g light brown sugar (2.00% total mass)
- 3 g liquid hickory smoke (0.41% total mass)
For the sandwich:
- club rolls
- your favorite BBQ sauce (I use Heinz original recipe)
- sliced white online
- sliced dill pickle
- Place the pork and crushed ice in a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds at a time until the pieces have been broken down and a homogenized paste is beginning to develop (just like making hot dogs).
- Add all seasonings and liquid smoke. Pulse a few more times to distribute the seasoning through the mixture.
- Transfer to a vacuum bag and form into a slab inside the bag; seal the bag.
- Transfer the bag to a sous vide bath at 167 °F for 2 hours.
- Drop the temperature of the sous vide bath to 158 °F and hold for another 1 hour.
- Remove the bag and cool completely in refrigerator.
To prepare for service:
- Open the vacuum bag and remove the meat slab. Transfer any congealed broth from the bag (or stuck to the slab) to a crock pot on low/warm.
- Slice the slab into rectangular patties the size of a club roll. My slab was thick enough that I also sliced each rectangle into two thinner halves.
- Grill the rectangular patties over medium-low heat for 5 minutes per side (grill marks should develop). This is primarily to just sear the patties, since they're already fully cooked via the sous vide steps.
- Transfer the patties to the crock pot, covering each layer in BBQ sauce. Hold in the crock pot for at least 1 hour, occassionally rearranging the patties to keep them covered in sauce.
- Place a pork patty on the heel of a club roll.
- Top with sliced onion and pickle slices. Drizzle additional BBQ sauce from the crock pot over the toppings.
- Top with the club roll crown and enjoy.