- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup graham flour (or whole wheat)
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3/8 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 large marshmallows, diced into ¼ inch pieces
- ½ cup cold buttermilk
Yield: 4 scones
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat mat.
- Mix all dry ingredients (except the chocolate and marshmallow bits).
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork until the mixture has a wet sand-like consistency.
- Mix the chocolate and marshmallows into the dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk and stir gently with a spatula until the liquid is just incorporated. Do not overmix!
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface. Gently form into a circular shape.
- Cut into 4 wedges and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Any exposed marshmallow may brown or even melt a bit — that's ok!
Cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool further. Eat immediately for the full effect.